Hello Everyone!
While reading, I paused when I read the phrase, “honey attracts more flies than vinegar.” This is so powerful because it really does make a difference when we view change from the perspective of what we are gaining, rather than what we are losing. I think this perspective can make change feel more positive and motivating instead of something that requires us to give up what we are used to. Instead of focusing on the sacrifices involved in returning to more traditional ways of doing things, we can recognize the knowledge, skills, relationships, and sense of community that we gain from them. This also made me think about teaching because students are more likely to engage with new ideas when they can see what they are gaining from the experience.
I was also surprised by how quickly some of the craft techniques from the videos could be learned. Some of them only took a few minutes to learn and understand, yet the final products looked so intricate. Once the process is understood, the techniques seem much simpler than I initially expected. I found it interesting that the strength and stability of rope are largely dependent on the geometric properties of helical structures, rather than simply the type of material being used. I tried making the rope Z-pattern using some dead grass, and it turned out really well. It took a few tries and some mistakes, but once I got the hang of it, the process was surprisingly simple, and the final result looked quite nice. This experience made me realize how foundational string technology is and how many everyday technologies and objects can be traced back to these basic techniques.
The Turkish lace also caught my attention because it looks so complicated to make, yet the video made the process seem much more approachable. It made me wonder how this art form originally developed and how these techniques have been passed down and refined over time. Similarly, seeing how the seven string braid is made inspired me to want to try it myself. Having seven strings seemed extremely complex at first, but after watching the process, it actually looks achievable. I would love to try making a bracelet using this multistring pattern. Overall, I am inspired to try some of these art techniques myself and learn more about the mathematics behind them.
No comments:
Post a Comment