Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Alina's Entrance Slip - Sept 22

 Hello Everyone!

There are so many positive outcomes that can come from connecting gardens with human behaviour and learning. I was surprised to learn that the garden was established in 2005 and is still thriving today in 2026. It is amazing to think that 21 years later, we are still able to learn and benefit from the same space. I was also surprised to learn that Think&Eat Green@Schools used a $1 million research grant to engage 43 schools and more than 35 community agencies in building school gardens. Although $1 million is a significant amount of money, I thought it was meaningful that the funding was used to help so many schools and communities build gardens. I especially liked the idea of the living world acting as a “co-teacher.”

As a future mathematics teacher, I could teach in and with a garden by having students perform physical tasks like measuring the area and perimeter of garden beds, graphing plant-growth data, or identifying patterns. A lesson could be as simple as bringing students outside with a portable whiteboard and having them use the garden as a real-world mathematical setting. Students could sit on benches, the ground, or cushions, making this a relatively low-cost way to create a different learning environment.

There are many benefits to this approach. Students may look forward to learning in an environment that is different from the typical classroom, while also getting fresh air and sunlight. It could also help students see mathematics as something connected to the real world rather than something that only exists on paper.

Some challenges include unpredictable weather, the distance between the garden and classroom, and outdoor noises or distractions that could make it difficult for everyone to hear. These challenges could be managed by having an indoor backup plan and setting clear expectations for students. Overall, I think teaching in and with a garden is a great opportunity to make learning more engaging while allowing the environment itself to become a co-teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Alina's Exit Slip - Sept 24

  Hello everyone!  I really enjoyed how interactive today’s class was. It was so cool to use our bodies as measuring tools and learn about t...